29 June 2012

You're Getting a Baby Sister!

This board book, written by Sheila Sweeny Higginson and illustrated by Sam Williams, was a big hit with my 18 month-old son and me.

Why did I like it? This book not only talked about how cute and fun baby sisters can be, it also talked about how horrible they can be—they drool, smell, scream, pull hair, break toys, steal your mom and dad time. What jerks! But when a kid is getting a baby sibling, what good does sugarcoating it actually do? So this approach made a lot of sense to me. But the book doesn’t leave it at that. It goes on to explain why baby sisters are that way—they just don’t know better. So true. And then the book takes it one step further and tells kids how fun it can be to teach your baby sister all that you know.

It’s a great book. Informative on both the good and bad points of having a baby sister, and it leaves the reader with an overall, positive message.

I do, however, have one thing about this book that I didn’t like. When explaining that baby sisters don’t know better, the book says, “she’s not smart yet like you.” And I disagree. Babies are incredibly smart. Not knowing something doesn’t make a person or child not smart. I know, I know, it’s a small matter of word choice, and I am being nit-picky. But if “she’s not smart” does that make her stupid? Anyway, that phrase rubbed me wrong when I read it, but if I were in the market for a book about getting a baby sister (I borrowed this one from the library), that phrase wouldn’t stop me from buying this book for myself or someone else.

Now, why did my son like this book? Maybe it was the colorful pictures, maybe it was the fun rhyming, I don’t know. But an entire week after having returned this book to the library, he is still asking to read it. “Baby sister? Baby sister!” It’s pretty cute.

There is also a book by the same author and illustrator called, You're Getting a Baby Brother!

PS: My mom came over and was reading books with my son. He gave her this book to read, and she read it to him. Afterward, she came up to me, book in hand, and said, “You’re pregnant! This is how you’re telling me!” No. One day, but not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment